Baby Beet and Silverbeet Tart
This recipe has a few steps but the creamy filling and earthy flavours of the beetroot and silver beet make a wholesome lunch or dinner, especially when teamed with a crisp salad.
You will need
1 quantity sour cream pastry (we love Careme brand)
250 g baby beets, trimmed and washed free of grit
1/2 cup cream
1tbs thyme leaves
1 cup chopped goats feta
2 cups washed and shredded silver beet
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
– Preheat the oven to 180c
– Wrap the beets in foil and place in the oven for 45 minutes
– Line a 22cm tart tin with a removable base, pressing into the bottom and sides. Trim the edges. Rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
– Line the tart with baking paper and weights or uncooked rice. and bake blind for 25 minutes. Remove the paper and weights and bake a further 5 minutes.
– When the beets have cooled enough to handle, rub off the skin and cut each one in half.
– Whisk the cream and eggs together with the thyme and then add the goats feta and silver beet, season with salt and pepper and pour into the tart shell, stud the top with the beet halves and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
– Top it off by scattering the chopped walnuts over the cooked tart and enjoy!
Back to Blog Page